How to prevent acne
Along with our targeted treatments, these are some easy steps you can take to help prevent acne and pimples from forming.
• Keep your face clean by washing regularly with a cleanser suited to your skin type. This will help remove excess oil, dirt and sweat that can exacerbate blemishes.
• Avoid the temptation to pick at or squeeze pimples, as this can leave scarring after the spot heals, and cause blemishes to spread.
• Avoid touching your face. Bacteria from everyday surfaces and objects can easily be transferred from your hands to your skin, so try to avoid spreading these as much as possible.
• Don't forget your moisturiser. Even oily skin types benefit from keeping skin hydrated and nourished – just make sure you're choosing a product that's non-comedogenic, which means it won't clog pores.
• Be sun safe – UV rays can cause post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (the marks left on skin after a pimple or other blemish has healed) and can also cause redness and inflammation. Always make sure you're using sunscreen and try to limit the amount of sun exposure your skin is getting.
• Diet – While the jury's out on whether things like chocolate or dairy products are definitively linked to acne, a nutritious diet based on plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables and whole grains (and less processed, sugary food) will help you feel great from the inside out.
RECOMMENDED TREATMENTS FOR ACNE
We offer a range clinical and cosmetic treatments. Every acne story is different. During your clinic consultation our Consultant Dermatologist will carefully examine your skin. Prescription medications such as oral retinoids (Roaccutane) and topical tretinoin creams can be prescribed in moderate and severe acne cases provided that there are no contraindications. Skincodes medical grade facial peel DERM CLEAR can work synergistically with a recommended skincare regime. It contains salicylic acid which is a powerful anti-inflammatory that reduces acne pustules. For more information, book in your clinic consultation with our expert team.
Learn about what causes acne and how to treat it
Acne is a very common condition that can affect men and women of all ages. We know how frustrating it can be, and while acne is not curable, it can be managed and controlled with the correct treatments.
What causes acne?
• Change in hormones
• Congested skin
• Using oily products